Feeding manure to worms
by Jim Belbeck
(Bethel Island, California)
A pile of horse manure
I have concerns feeding my worms dog and horse manure. Many years ago (1976) or around then, I knew a person that fed his worms his neighbors horse manure. All his worms died, it was his sole income. The reason they died was due to his neighbor deworming his horses a week earlier,
I de-worm my dogs as well, I'm concerned about using the feces from either one. I have a concern about pathogens as I use my compost in my vegetable garden as well. Comments?
On another note: Everyone's favorite subject and my wife's nemesis, worm food. The best two foods I have fed my worms is pureed broccoli, and cooked oatmeal/corn meal combined they seem to love it.
The worse food was I pureed (I grind up all their food) was one half of a large cantaloupe. If I placed it in the bin whole it may have worked better. What I ended up with was a blob of stuff in a ball, very hard, I suspect the sugar hardened. The worms were all in the far corner at the bottom.
My opinion ends with, some foods work when ground or pureed, and some just don't.